Mountain regions are key contexts for sustainable global development because (1) mountains provide critical and indispensable goods and services to a significant proportion of humankind; and (2) mountains are among the most disadvantaged regions in a global perspective: they are among the regions with the highest poverty rates, and among those most vulnerable to global (climate) change and related risks.
The overall goal of SMD4GC is to essentially contribute to SMD under uncertain changes in climatic, environmental and socio-economic conditions, focusing on poverty and risk reduction. The objectives are to launch (policy) instruments for SMD at different levels by local, national and international stakeholders and decision makers, and to implement knowledge-based SMD activities.
List of Partners:
• ARCOS (Albertine Rift Conservation Society)
• CDE (Centre for Development and Environment, University of Berne)
• CONDESAN (Consortium for the Sustainable Development of the Andean Ecoregion)
• FDDM (Fondation pour le développement durable des régions de montagne)
• ICIMOD (International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development)
• UCA (University of Central Asia)
• UZH (University of Zurich) and WGMS (World Glacier Monitoring Service)