IAU in action
IAU in action
Future well-being of humanity and the planet depends on successful resolution of the interconnected challenges of economic, social, cultural, and environmental sustainability. The International Association of Universities is an international non-governmental organization and an official partner of UNESCO (Associate Status) that recognizes the key role higher education (HE) plays in the overall process of achieving sustainable development. As of January 2017, the IAU counts 650 Members (Institutions & Organizations) in some 130 countries.
For over three decades, the Association takes part in international and regional initiatives and holds events to promote the integration of sustainable development (SD) into higher education policies, strategies and work.
IAU HESD strategy for 2016-2020
IAU’s Strategic Plan and related actions in support of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development provide a framework for university leaders to develop inter institutional collaboration in pursuit of sustainable development. The aim is to help HEIs leaders, from our Members and Partners, embed sustainable development concepts and principles in strategic planning, academic and organizational work.
Our objectives for 2016-2020 are the following *:
- Strengthen IAU’s work in support of the 2030 Agenda and related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Develop and share expertise on the SDGs.
- Enhance IAU Members’ involvement in HESD.
- Encourage peer-to-peer learning using the IAU global network of HE leaders.
- Foster ‘whole institution’ approaches at the leadership level to integrate sustainable development priorities, and develop guidelines for embedding SD in the whole institution.
- Monitor trends and issues related to HESD.
- Provide leadership training, capacity building and networking services.
- Map and analyze assessment tools related to HESD.
IAU will pursue its ABC strategy through:
- Advising & advocating
- Building synergies & networking
- Communicating & convening
* IAU pursues a 4-year Strategic Plan. The Strategic Plan was adopted during the 15th IAU General Conference in November 2016. It deepens IAU’s focus on four key higher education challenges, namely Leadership, Internationalization, Sustainable Development, Information and Communications Technologies, while improving support and services to Members as well as enhancing their visibility and engagement.
This timeline highlights important dates related to HESD as well as the IAU main contributions to the UN-DESD (The United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development, 2005-2014) and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development since 1993.
To know more about IAU's actions, please consult IAU profile. You can also download IAU Horizons, the Association's news and information magazine; these volumes focus more specifically on sustainable development:
- IAU Horizons, vol. 20, no.3 - Where in the World is Higher Education in the Post-2015 Development Agenda?
- IAU Horizons, vol. 18, No.2 - The Contribution of Higher Education to Sustainable Development
- IAU Horizons - Vol. 18, no.3 & Vol.19, no.1 - IAU 14th General Conference on: Higher Education and the Global Agenda – Alternative Paths to the Future
All other volumes are available on the IAU website.